This episode is all about the trials and tribulations that come when you enter back into the job search world. Both hosts recently decided to make a career shift and today we share our stories with you. Whatever your case may be: whether your current role isn’t a good fit, you want to pivot in your career, or you feel you aren’t challenged in your current role, the first step is putting yourself out there. And that’s terrifying!
But with a little preparation, realistic expectations, and unbreakable stride, this job search will make you a stronger, more confident version of yourself. In this episode, we discuss the advantages of “internal mobility” within a company, how you can prepare aggressively for your next job interview, and what happens when things don’t go according to plan.
- Using everything to your advantage during the job search, especially for internal candidates
- The pros of internal mobility
- Cover letter tips and key points to focus on
- The pros of using LinkedIn Learning Courses
- How to prepare for your next interview
- Seeking that sensation of “truly feeling challenged”
- Challenging the perception of yourself
- The differing perspectives on job happiness
Key Takeaway: Get clear about why you want a new job or career change to offer. This is critical when entering the great unknown of job searching. Luckily, passion and preparation are two major assets you can arm yourself with when beginning this journey to the better version of you.
This Week’s Sponsor
- Gusto – Gusto offers modern, easy payroll to benefits to small businesses across the country — they were even named best online payroll by PCMag. And as a listener, you’ll get three months free when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/paychecks.
- University of California Irvine – If you are trying to start a new career, advance your career or better develop an appreciation of the world around you, UCI Division of Continuing Education has the resources needed to support your undertakings. There are certificate programs and specialized studies programs available making it easy to advance your career in as little as 6 months. For 15-percent off, visit ce.uci.edu/PaychecksBalances
Mentioned on This Week’s Show
- Losing Two Jobs in One Week May Have Been the Best Thing that Ever Happened to Me
- Career Change Episodes
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t by James C. Collins
Our Favorite Tools This Week
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- D.E.B.T. Free: A 4-Week Starter Kit – Get Paychecks & Balances, LLC. signature course today! Based on our popular book, Debt Free or Die Trying: How I Buried Myself in $30,000 in Debt and Dug My Way Out, this actionable 4-step program helps you create a debt free plan you’ll actually follow.
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. Marcus has used SoFi twice and has nothing but good things to say about their easy to use services. Use our referral link and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Break the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- Freshly – Behind only housing (33%) and transportation (16%), food-related expenses (13%) is the largest expense category for the average household. Freshly delivers chef cooked, healthy, wallet-friendly meals that fit any budget. Use our referral link to take 2-weeks off from cooking with $20 off your first two orders.
Side Hustles and Passive Income Streams
- How to Start a Blog – Michelle Schroeder-Gardner is the self-made millionaire behind MakingSenseOfCents.com who credits finding her purpose and sharing her story through blog writing for her personal and financial success. With her easy-to-follow course, you can be up and running a blog in less than a day!
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing – Over 50-percent of Michelle’s How I Made Over $1,500,000 In 2018 revenue comes directly from successful affiliate marketing.
- Making Sense of Sponsored Posts – You can also quickly learn how she made her first blogging income, and how she now makes $10,000 – $20,000 a month with sponsored partnerships.
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Request us here!
- Learn more about Marcus’ continually updated Debt Free or Die Trying series.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Free Guide
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! We will use this to send you emails about our products and special offers. You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.