Joe Saul-Sehy joins us on the podcast today. Joe is one of the hosts of the award-winning “Stacking Benjamins” Podcast, where he and his co-host OG discuss financial literacy. The show has been running since 2012 and since then, Joe and OG’s goal has been to make finance fun and more approachable. There’s an ongoing joke that “ you won’t learn anything” on Stacking Benjamins, but you’ll be in comfortable setting where money conversations are friendly. Joe, OG and guests on the show often share their money mistakes in the hopes that the listening audience will learn from them.
Part of the podcasts success is Joe’s booking philosophy. He has diverse guests on the show from many different types of ethnicities and financial backgrounds. He believes that everyone has a money story to tell, based on the way they were taught about money growing up. It’s from these stories and personalities that we can seek to deeper understand the way money affects the people around us.
Joe’s journey into finance started from his own mishandling of money in his younger years and a pivotal experience of running out of gas with his kids in the car solidified his desire to get educated about money and make a change. In today’s episode you’ll hear Joe’s story on how/why he started the podcast, why you need to jump on your big idea, how your weakness becomes a part of your life’s story, how to pick the right people to surround yourself with and more.
This Weeks Sponsors
- University of California Irvine – If you are trying to advance your career, UCI Division of Continuing Education has the resources needed to support you. There are certificate programs and specialized studies available to make it easy to advance in as little as 6 months. For 15-percent off, click here and enter promo code “paychecks” at checkout.
- LinkedIn Learning – For a limited time, LinkedIn Learning is offering a wide variety of their most popular online courses for free. You can hear from real-world experts, who share tips about how to cope with stress, manage a remote team, and much more. Get started today at linkedinlearning.com/paychecks.
- “Just start ugly”
- How your weakness becomes your story
- The importance of your product and feedback from your audience
- The struggle of deciding between short term solutions that are obvious and long term that are right
- Why you need to seek out knowledge through books, podcasts, videos etc…
- Finding the “good people” to surround yourself with
- Having all the questions, not the answers
- The importance of diversity in the finance sector
Key Takeaway: Everyone has a story to tell and it’s from these stories that we can get a better understanding of why people are the way they are and how their background influences their decision making in money, but more importantly in life.
Joe Saul-Sehy Online
- Twitter: twitter.com/SBenjaminsCast
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/stackingbenjamins
- Instagram: instagram.com/stackingbenjaminspodcast
- Facebook: facebook.com/IStackBenjamins
Save More Money
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here.
Investing Made Easy
- Trade Your 9 to 5 with Investing Made Easy – Tela Holcomb shows you How to Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom and Build a Legacy of Wealth – All Without Working 40+ Hours a Week in her course bundle. Learn how she does it here.
- This Teacher Turned Investment Expert Shares How She Makes $1,000 a Day – enrollment is now open for Teri’s latest trading course: Trade and Travel
- The Perfect Portfolio – A step-by-step program to build financial freedom. Your teacher, Kevin L. Matthews II, is a Certified Financial Planner, bestselling author, and former financial advisor. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Economics from Hampton University, obtained a certificate of financial planning from Northwestern University and a certificate in disruptive strategy from Harvard Business School. He was named one of the Top 100 Most Influential Financial Advisors by Investopedia.
- D.E.B.T. Free or Die Trying is available on Amazon.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us @PayBalances and Instagram.
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.