Rich and Marcus kick off the episode discussing the importance of mental health and breaking out of patterns that you continuously find yourself in, even if that requires breaking the pattern of not seeking professional help first. Then they leap into the topic of the day where they discuss the decision by Billionaire and Cornell Alum, Robert F. Smith to pay off the student loan debt of the 2019 graduating class of The Historically Black University, Morehouse College. There’s some buzz on the internet surrounding this decision. Some people are in support of Smith’s decision, while others think it’s unfair to those who had to pay off their own debt. Mind you these debt payments will be made in the form of philanthropy by a private donation and aren’t involved with any kind of government assistance. Marcus and Rich give their take on the situation, which brings up the broader issue of receiving vs. earning and the trouble many face when others are dealt a ‘winning hand’ and they feel like they lost out.
- Robert F Smith’s donation vs. Senator Elizabeth Warren’s Government Aid Plan
- The impact of having a scarcity mindset has on our view of ourselves and others benefits
- Earned rewards vs. Gifts
- Someone else doesn’t have to lose for you to win. It’s not a zero-sum game
- Feeling like you have to apologize for your success
- The cost of college and deciding if the benefits of a degree are worth the debt
Key Takeaway: Robert F. Smith and Elizabeth Warren both have good intentions, but the real issue that should be discussed is how the US can make college more affordable so that young students don’t find themselves in a pile of debt.
Mentioned on This Week’s Show
- PsychologyToday.com – Find a therapist
- Six Resources for Mental Health Therapist for POC
- Robert Smith pledged to pay off Morehouse graduates’ student loans. Is this a penalty for families who saved?
- Guest Gaby Dunn
- Paychecks and Balances – Bad With Money ft. Gaby Dunn
- Bad With Money ft. Paychecks and Balances
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- D.E.B.T. Free: A 4-Week Starter Kit– Get Paychecks & Balances, LLC. signature course today! This is an actionable 4-step program that will allow you to walk develop a plan for debt freedom that you’ll actually follow based on the popular book, Debt Free or Die Trying: How I Buried Myself in $30,000 in Debt and Dug My Way Out and everything we’ve learned about money and personal finance since its release.
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. There’s something to help everyone get their money right. I’ve used SoFi twice and have nothing but good things to say about their easy to use and helpful services. Use our referral link and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Break the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
Side Hustles and Passive Income Streams
- How to Start a Blog – Michelle Schroeder-Gardner is the self-made millionaire behind MakingSenseOfCents.com who credits finding her purpose and sharing her story through blog writing for her personal and financial success. With her easy-to-follow course, you can be up and running a blog in less than a day!
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing – Over 50-percent of Michelle’s How I Made Over $1,500,000 In 2018 revenue comes directly from successful affiliate marketing.
- Making Sense of Sponsored Posts – You can also quickly learn how she made her first blogging income, and how she now makes $10,000 – $20,000 a month with sponsored partnerships.
Grow Your Net Worth
Personal Capital – is an online financial advisor and personal wealth management company that helps you track and grow your net worth.
Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is the easiest and best platform.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We use Square.
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Request us here!
- Click here to learn more about Marcus’ continually updated Debt Free or Die Trying series.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.