Ever wanted someone to sit you down and calmly explain the ins and outs of personal finance in just a few minutes? Well, look no further, Chris Browning is the man for you! Chris is the creator of the wildly popular financial podcast, Popcorn Finance, a podcast which is dedicated to helping you understand your finances better in about the time it takes to make a bag of popcorn. After shelving the idea for his podcast for three years, he finally decided to turn his fantasy into a reality when he realized that most millennials were struggling with cripplingly credit card debt, bad saving habits, and a serious lack of financial literacy.
His podcast offers an array of different series, such as Popping with F.I.R.E, Back to School Series, Investing 101, Side Hustle Series, and Tiny Living Series, which focus on different ways you can gain financial independence and money wellness. During the day Chris works as an Analyst, but at night, he shares his passion for teaching and discussing personal finance to listeners just like you. He has been featured on CNBC, Nerdwallet, Pennyhoader, Investopedia, and Vice and Popcorn Finance is frequently credited with being one of the Top Ten Financial Podcasts available worldwide.
In this episode, you’ll hear how Chris took an idea for a podcast and turned it into one of the top rated financial podcasts available, his personal struggle with self-doubt when starting his own business, his love for Tiny Houses, and he got rid of $27,000 debt in just a few years.
- Chris’s art past and what led him to a career in finance
- Analyst by day… Podcaster by night.
- Why did it take 3 years to launch Popcorn Finance?
- How you can shrug off self-doubt and the harshness of negative feedback
- Secrets to finding success faster and pushing through
- Making saving a priority in your life today
- Unraveling Chris’s unique love for Tiny Homes
- Should you consider going to therapy?
- Is money personal? Why don’t we talk more about it?
- Money transparency can both help and harm
- Dealing with $27,000 in debt propelled Chris forward in his career and his marriage
Key Takeaway: Mastering financial independence isn’t always easy, but with just a few minutes each day, Popcorn Finance can start you on your journey to finally earasing all that credit card debt, jumpstarting your savings account, and boosting your confidence with how you handle money. It only takes repetition, routine, and vision to rewrite your financial future!
Paychecks & Balances
Mentioned on This Week’s Show
- Has the Financial Independence Retire Early (FIRE) Movement Burned Out?
- Following These 7 Tips Increased My Salary Over 400%
- SMR Podcast – De-Bamafying Tech for the Masses
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. Whenever you’re taking out a loan with a lender, you’ll want to make sure you’ve done some proper research on them to determine whether or not they are reputable and if others have had positive experiences with them – you can find out more here. There’s something to help everyone get their money right. I’ve used SoFi twice and have nothing but good things to say about their easy to use and helpful services. Use our referral link
and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Side Hustles and Passive Income Streams
- How to Start a Blog – Michelle Schroeder-Gardner is the self-made millionaire behind MakingSenseOfCents.com who credits finding her purpose and sharing her story through blog writing for her personal and financial success. With her easy-to-follow course, you can be up and running a blog in less than a day!
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing – Over 50-percent of Michelle’s How I Made Over $1,500,000 In 2018 revenue comes directly from successful affiliate marketing. In order to master affilate marketing, it is important to educate yourself on the topic. Visiting sites like makeawebsitehub.com would be a useful starting point for your research. Affiliate marketing has provided an additional stream of revenue for a large number of bloggers.
- Making Sense of Sponsored Posts – You can also quickly learn how she made her first blogging income, and how she now makes $10,000 – $20,000 a month with sponsored partnerships.
Grow Your Net Worth
Personal Capital – is an online financial advisor and personal wealth management company that helps you track and grow your net worth.
Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is the easiest and best platform.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We use Square.
- Beyond the Dollar Podcast – The Myth of Success with Paychecks & Balances: We chat about the differences between the idea of outward success and how it’s not always cracked up to be. We also get candid about our feelings on how others respond to our upbringings or our “advantages” in life and it’s merely our parents looking out for our best interest.
- Brown Ambition Podcast – Ep. 169 — Finding Your Perfect Retirement Number with Paychecks & Balance’s Marcus Garrett: Paychecks & Balance’s Marcus Garrett cohosts this week’s show, and he shares how he found his perfect retirement number (Hint: It’s actually not as high as you might think!).
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Request us here!
- We’re developing our first Debt Free course including continuously updated content and Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying book series.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.