The reason why a lot of kids struggle with school is because the educational system is outdated. This isn’t the case with the TM Landry College Prep. TM Landry College Prep is an independent, coeducational year-round college prep school founded by Tracey and Mike Landry. The program is for intellectual, “out-of-the-box” thinkers who want to pursue a serious, purposeful education, with the ultimate goal of achieving success in college and beyond. TM Landry is dedicated to promoting each child’s self-worth in a supportive, educational and safe environment while preparing them to prosper and flourish in a culturally diverse, technological society. T.M. Landry’s goal is that every child not only gets into but gets THROUGH college. In this episode, you’ll learn why TM Landry is offering an exciting new approach to education for children of color and how they’re exceeding expectations while doing it.
- Personal Finance and investing is taught as early as the third grade.
- These days school is set up for students to regurgitate and memorize material. The critical thinking component is absent.
- TM Landry focuses on the application of knowledge. They encourage students to be self-driven. The student makes their class schedule and selects their teachers.
- Grades are only given out as A’s or F’s. Anything under 90% is considered an F.
- Administration at TM Landry encourages students to questions teachers and administrators. Their goal is to provide a voice for students.
- The vast majority of students commute, some as far as 150 miles round trip.
- Teachers get evaluated by students weekly and must maintain a 90% approval rating.
- When a student is unmotivated or struggling, the school looks at the issue from the standpoint of the teacher rather than the student.
- Students at TM Landry must participate in hundreds of hours of community service.
- There are no standardized tests for Elementary and Middle School aged Students.
The Takeaway: The school is at the forefront of non-traditional educational ideas and philosophies. Students are given the freedom and power to make their own decisions and be direct in the educational process. This has been shown to improve student success and college acceptance rate relative to other schools.
TM Landry on Social Media:
- Website: TMLandryCollegePrep.org
- Facebook: TM Landry College Prep
- Instagram: TMLandryCollegePrep
- Twitter: @TMLandryCollege
References Mentioned on the Show:
- ICYMI – PB32: Cutting Cable to Save Money ft. Dennis Restauro
- Al Jackson of DailyBlastLive TM Landry Graduation Speech (video)
- CBS News: The Louisiana prep school behind viral Harvard acceptance video
- The Washington Post: Video of jubilant students at a small-town Louisiana school inspired millions
Our Fav Tools and Resources
- We created a free guide, The 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom, exclusively for our email subscribers. Sign-up today and see why just 15-minutes can change the next 15 years of your life.
- Struggle saving money? Sign-up for Digit today!
- Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read more on why we like this great tool.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? Sign-up with Square!
- Marcus Debt Free or Die Trying book series is available on Amazon.com.
- Are you a financial blogger or podcaster interested in taking your financial brand to the next level? Or maybe you just want to see the Dulcet Brothers in person! Whatever your motivation may be, FinCon2018 is the place to do it. FinCon is where money & media meet — a great conference that Paychecks and Balances has faithfully attended the last three years. This year they’re taking their talents to Florida, September 26-28. Learn more and purchase your ticket here at: Paybal.co/fincon18
- Support Rich for #SXSW2018! It’s easy!! Just visit PickThisPanel.com, follow the instructions, and let’s send Rich to Austin Texas to spread the P&B greatness!!!
- Visit our *updated* PATREON page for more info! We revamped the page to include a new tier system and even more exclusive information for subscribers. We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
Support Paychecks & Balances
- Use PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR to read all of Marcus GoBankingRates “Smart Money Squad” articles.
- Visit our Debt Free page for more info on available tools and resources. Want us to design a personal finance or career seminar tailored to your group? Contact us!
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or follow us on Twitter @PayBalances @IamRichJones @THEMarcusGarret and Instagram
Get Our Free Guide
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! We will use this to send you emails about our products and special offers. You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.