#Millennials face the scariest financial future of any generation since the Great Depression. Click To Tweet
Paychecks & Balances is joined by Michael Hobbes (@RottenInDenmark), author of that viral story you should have already read but just in case you didn’t now you can listen to us talk about it, Millennials Are Screwed: Why millennials are facing the scariest financial future of any generation since the Great Depression. Even Generation X and the Boomers receive honorable mentions this week. See ladies and gentlemen of generations past? Gone, but not forgotten! Armed with Michael’s 8-plus months of research you’ll have the evidence-based facts you needed to throw in the next person’s face that inaccurately says Millennials (ages 18-35) have it “easy” based on their cursory reading of clickbait headlines and reimagined facts made-up from biased opinions. We cover a lot on this one but it comes with a happy ending! A non-exhaustive breakdown of the topics covered:
The Surprising (Depressing?) Facts
- Over 40-percent of Millennials are now mothers.
- 1 in 5 Millennials lives in poverty.
- On average, Millennials have 300% more debt than our parents and would need to work 4,000+ more hours to pay for our college educations compared to Boomers.
- In 2007, more than 50 percent of college graduates had a job offer lined up. For the class of 2009, job offers were solidified for fewer than 20 percent.
- Over 60-percent of Millennials don’t have a college degree.
- According to one analysis, Millennials won’t be able to retire until age 75 (Note: the average lifespan is currently only 78).
- On average, Boomers could expect a 6.3% average annual stock return; while Millennials may be forecasted to see as low as 2.9% in their lifetime.
- Focusing on the “local level” solutions in your city and state
- Establishing laws that give workers more leverage against companies that treat them as if they’re disposable.
- Attach benefits to work instead of jobs (i.e. For every hour you work, your boss chips into a fund that pays out when you get sick, pregnant, old or fired. The fund follows you from job to job, and companies have to contribute to it whether you work there a day, a month or a year.)
- Establish equity of pay (and risks) for employees versus contractors to slow employers rush to contract everyone and everything out just because it’s cheaper and more profitable
References Mentioned in this Show
- Generation FML by Michael Hobbes
- Michael Hobbes Social Media:
- Federal Poverty Guideline by Household Income and Size of Household
- Here’s How Rich You’d Be If You Stopped Drinking
- SmartAsset: What Americans Spend The Most On
- Where Americans Spend Their Money
- Book Review: Dollars and Sense by Dan Ariely and Jeff Kreisler
- 2017 PB Year in Review: DebtFreeOrDieTrying.com/News
This is our last episode of 2017! We’ll see you all on the other side. Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hunnakuh, Festive Kwanzaa or joyful holiday season, and a happy and safe New Year!
We’ve partnered with NerdWallet for all your personal finance needs at PaychecksAndBalances.com/Tools!
Check out our feature on NBCNEWS.com: Self-taught financial advisers keep it real about money management by writer Mashaun D. Simon
Shout-out to XO Necole for naming us among 11 other great podcasts: 12 Podcasts For Women Trying To Glow Up In 2018
Watch Now: Marcus’ appeared on a CBS News CBSN panel: Your Money Matters covering debt, student loans, and more! Watch the playback at PaychecksAndBalances.com/CBSNOW
Thank You for the Support
Looking for more free career development and debt freedom tips? Join our email list at PaychecksandBalances.com/email for exclusive content including show updates, digital giveaways, and more. We don’t spam. We just keeps it real. Yes, keeps.
Check out our PATREON page! We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
Read Marcus’ book, Debt Free Or Die Trying: How He Buried and Dug His Way Out Of Over $30,000 in debt by age 30 on Amazon!
Get Our Free Guide
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! We'll show you how to build a path to financial freedom. You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.