This Week in Work segment returns! This is the segment of PB where we help you crack the professional code and discuss stories and topics relevant to the workplace. This week we’re talking about five things you can do in 2018 to get both your work and money up. We cover:
- Using your bonus and merit increases to jumpstart your 401k while lowering your taxable income for the year
- The benefit of the “electronic envelope system” — using multiple bank accounts to accelerate and clearly manage your money goals
- Tips for tracking your annual accomplishments in a way that will help you and your manager prepare for your performance evaluation
- How certifications and continuing professional education can help you stand out from your peers and competitors
- The difference between a Personal Advisor, a Mentor, a Coach and the other resources you need to develop in your career
- Five ways to update your LinkedIn profile from “useless” to “You’re Hired”
[bctt tweet=””I want to hire people who want to learn for 40-years; not people who stopped learning because they got a 4-year degree.” – convo with a mentor” username=”PayBalances”]
References Mentioned on This Show
- Medium: Here are 250 Ivy League courses you can take online right now for free
- Source: A person’s developmental network can’t be static but needs to evolve over time
— MITSloan Mgmt Review (@mitsmr) May 7, 2017
- Our Recommended Project Management Tool: Trello
Check out our feature on NBCNEWS.com: Self-taught financial advisers keep it real about money management by writer Mashaun D. Simon
Shout-out to XO Necole for naming us among 11 other great podcasts: 12 Podcasts For Women Trying To Glow Up In 2018
CONGRATULATIONS to @SStarrQuinn! Our winner for our first Paychecks & Balances $100 Gift Card Giveaway!
We’ve partnered with NerdWallet for all your personal finance needs at PaychecksAndBalances.com/Tools!
Watch Now: Marcus’ appeared on a CBS News CBSN panel: Your Money Matters covering debt, student loans, and more! Watch the playback at PaychecksAndBalances.com/CBSNOW
Thank You for the Support
Looking for more free career development and debt freedom tips? Join our email list at PaychecksandBalances.com/email for exclusive content including show updates, digital giveaways, and more. We don’t spam. We just keeps it real. Yes, keeps.
Check out our PATREON page! We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
Read Marcus’ book, Debt Free Or Die Trying: How He Buried and Dug His Way Out Of Over $30,000 in debt by age 30 on Amazon!
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.