College is a time when young men and women are faced with real money management for the first time in their adult lives. They’re trying to pay rent, pay bills, buy books and have some fun along the way. Debt can pile up quick. This was the case for Steven Hughes, the interview subject for this week’s episode. After signing up for multiple credit cards from on-campus lenders he found himself in a debt hole he thought he would never get out of.
In this episode, you’ll hear Steven’s story on how he climbed his way out of debt and eventually founded his financial education company, Know Money. Steven started Know Money to help millennial’s avoid the same money mistakes he made and to help adults talk, think, and interact with money differently. He’s a nationally Certified Financial Education Instructor and manages all of the programs for the Know Money team.
- Financial mistakes to avoid (but you’ll probably make anyway) in college
- Predatory lending on college campuses
- Side gigs for young adults
- Setting reasonable salary expectations vs. salary reality for new graduates
- The transferrable skills from a job in sales
- The new reality of the gig economy
- Delayed gratification and defining your “Why”
- Why Action cures all
Key Takeaway: Figure out where your money is going each month and educate yourself about how credit works. When you have questions, don’t be afraid to reach out for help.
Follow Steven Hughes:
This Week’s Sponsors
- Jobscan – Go to Jobscan.co and use promo code “paychecks” to get 10% off Jobscan Premium. Jobscan was created to alleviate job seeker’s frustration. Founder, James Hu, found that the powerful portals companies were using for hiring were simply parsing, ranking, and filtering resumes with an algorithm based on keywords. Jobscan was built from scratch to carefully tailor your resume for each application in order to be noticed. Jobscan Premium gives job seekers unlimited resume scans and access to exclusive tools like LinkedIn Optimization, Cover letter optimization, and resume format checks.
- Blinkist – For a limited time Blinkist.com/Paychecks has a special offer just for the P&B audience! Blinkist is made of busy people like you, who want to get the main points without reading the entire book. With an audio feature, Blinkist makes it easy to finish 4 books a day while you are on the go. Visit Blinkist.com/Paychecks start your free 7 day trial!
Our Favorite Tools
- Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit today at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more!
- Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves this tool and how much it’s already saved him here.
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is, by far, the easiest and best platform we’ve used.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We love Square.
- Visit our *updated* PATREON premium content page! Patreon is an extension of the weekly podcast, including conversations we have amongst ourselves or with guests after we finish the main recording. In the first episode of The After Show, we continue with this week’s podcast guest, Steven Hughes. We get into an interesting convo about how and why men and women consume personal finance differently and after Steven drops off, Marcus and Rich continue the conversation. Join #TeamPremium today!
Support Paychecks & Balances
- Need personal finance or career presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Contact us here!
- Visit PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR to read Marcus latest GoBankingRates “Smart Money Squad” articles.
- Our Debt Free page has continuously updated tools and resources and
Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying series is available on Amazon.com.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.