Kwame Christian re-joins Rich on the podcast (PB21: The Negotiator ft. Kwame Christian). Kwame was one of the first guests that appeared on Paychecks & Balances. Kwame is a business lawyer by trade and the Director of The American Negotiation Institute. His mission is to make conversations easier by using a multidisciplinary approach to the teaching of conflict management and negotiation. These skills can come in handy when dealing with your boss, roommate, family, friends, spouse, etc. Last year, Kwame hosted a TEDx Talk on Finding Confidence in Conflict. He also hosts the top negotiation podcast in the country, Negotiate Anything. On this episode, you’ll learn how to talk to your partner about finances, how to talk to HR during your performance review at work and learn the difference between internal and external negotiation.
- Kwame’s TEDx Talk: Finding Confidence in Conflict received over 24,000 downloads in 24 hours.
- How to address: Cognitive Appraisal, the perception of experience, and the fear and anxiety before a big conversation.
- Using CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to overcome anxiety and have more confidence during conversations.
- Compassionate Curiosity – A three-step process that includes: Acknowledging emotions, getting curious with compassion and joint problem-solving.
- Persuasive Weight – Too much persuasion in a conversation for one person to handle.
- Before the conversation, the internal negotiation starts. This is where you’re negotiating with yourself. In this stage, you’re determining where you stand, how you feel, what you want and why.
- There are three reasons why a conversation breaks down: The Frame, the pace, or the direction. The frame is the storyline you put on the conversation. The pace is how fast the conversation happens. The direction is how you’re guiding the conversation.
Key Takeaway: Know your intentions and feelings going into a conversation where you’re going to negotiate. Keep the conversation on track and don’t use too much persuasive weight to try and get your way.
Kwame Around the Web
- Kwame’s Book – Nobody Will Play with Me: How To Use Compassionate Curiosity To Find Confidence in Conflict
- Website: AmericanNegotiationInstitute.com
- LinkedIn: Kwame Christian
- Negotiate Anything Podcast
- TEDx Talk
Our Fav Tools and Resources
- We created a free guide, The 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom, exclusively for our email subscribers. Sign-up today and see why just 15-minutes can change the next 15 years of your life.
- Struggle saving money? Sign-up for Digit today!
- Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read more on why we like this great tool.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? Sign-up with Square!
- Marcus Debt Free or Die Trying book series is available on Amazon.com.
- Need contacts? Visit simplecontacts.com/paychecks or use the code paychecks at checkout to receive $20 off your order
- Do you need a podcast intro, voiceover, drop or just a hilarious recording? Visit PaychecksAndBalances.com/TheVoiceto order the voiceover service that’s right for you starting at only $25!
- Visit our *updated* PATREON page for more info! We revamped the page to include a new tier system and even more exclusive information for subscribers. We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
Support Paychecks & Balances
- Use PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR to read all of Marcus GoBankingRates “Smart Money Squad” articles.
- Visit our Debt Free page for more info on available tools and resources. Want us to design a personal finance or career seminar tailored to your group? Contact us!
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or follow us on Twitter @PayBalances @IamRichJones @THEMarcusGarret and Instagram
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.