How do I get a million dollars in my trading account? That’s the financial question Jason asked himself when he was just 20-something years old. We told you to dream big and set big goals when thinking of your financial independence, and Jason Brown is no exception. Who is he? Jason Brown is a stock market guru who has over 10 years experience trading stocks and options. At the age of 23, he took $10,000 and turned it into a six-figure trading account. He’s known for making trades based on technical analysis, rather than emotion. Research can enable that. I’ve hear if you check websites similar to Learn to Trade you can gain some more information on market trading. Jason is also the founder of The Brown Report, a company that teaches students how to trade stocks and be financially responsible. In this episode, you’ll hear how Jason lost all his money in the stock market on two separate occasions, how he went from making minimum wage with Sprint to a six figure income with Comcast, and how he eventually left corporate America to start his own independent financial coaching business.
- Jason’s first motivation to enter the stock market came from just hustling to make an extra $50 dollars each week as a college student to have enough money to not work weekends.
- His second motivation came when he lost money with a “professional broker.” After, he purchased $5 shares of Sprint stock and began studying it’s movement patterns. Later, he would turn $10,000 into $100,000.
- Think of traders like weathermen, they study patterns. Opening an online trading account is quick and simple. You can set up a wire transfer from your everyday bank account.
- Only trade within a set of rules that you designate for yourself. You can’t get emotional. Set limits and a structure to follow.
- There are only two ways to make more cash: “spend less or make more.”
- 401k’s are nice for retirement, but they aren’t designed for creating wealth. You can typically only pick from a handful of average funds with 401k’s. With trading, you can pick and choose the stocks that are outperforming the market.
- Remember to humble yourself and cut way back on lifestyle and expenses after an unexpected financial loss.
- Don’t quit your day job until the money from your side hustles supports you, but know that people will pay good money for good advice. While we’re on the topic of side hustles, a couple of examples that could potentially earn you some extra money may be to become a Scentsy Consultant here, teach online courses, offer photography services or even pick up freelance writing jobs. Whatever you choose to do, hopefully, this will all pay off one day.
- Set a financial goal for yourself or your family. Jason’s goal is, “for my family to want for nothing.”
- Piggyback off already existing marketplaces when first starting a side hustle. You don’t need a website right away. Use free sites like Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, Upwork, etc. Find a product to sell or a site where you can promote your services.
- When it comes time to hire someone for your side hustle/business, find someone who can duplicate your efforts and results. This will free up your time to focus on other aspects of the business.
Key Takeaway: Start small with your side hustle. Take advantage of existing marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay, Craiglist, Upwork etc. Test the market to see if your services or products are in demand before spending money on a business idea.
Jason Brown Around the Web:
Our Fav Tools and Resources
- We created a free guide, The 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom, exclusively for our email subscribers. Sign-up today and see why just 15-minutes can change the next 15 years of your life.
- Struggle saving money? Sign-up for Digit today!
- Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read more on why we like this great tool.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? Sign-up with Square!
- Marcus Debt Free or Die Trying book series is available on Amazon.com.
- Paychecks And Balances Around the Web
- Do you need a podcast intro, voiceover, drop or just a hilarious recording? Visit PaychecksAndBalances.com/TheVoiceto order the voiceover service that’s right for you starting at only $25!
- Visit our *updated* PATREON page for more info! We revamped the page to include a new tier system and even more exclusive information for subscribers. We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
Support Paychecks & Balances
- Use PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR to read all of Marcus GoBankingRates “Smart Money Squad” articles.
- Visit our Debt Free page for more info on available tools and resources. Want us to design a personal finance or career seminar tailored to your group? Contact us!
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or follow us on Twitter @PayBalances @IamRichJones @THEMarcusGarret and Instagram
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.