Mykail James is the founder of Boujie Budgets and is passionate about teaching Gen Z professionals how to manage their finances without sacrificing their lifestyle. Mykail is a Certified Financial Literacy instructor with an MBA focused on accounting, and her fresh new take on managing money and finances helps people understand money concepts such as budgeting, saving, and investing. Mykail works with organizations such as the Howard University Trio Program and public schools in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia Metropolitan area to provide workshops and interactive lectures to inspire her audience to identify where their money traumas lie and take the steps to financial success.
Mykail joins me today to discuss how she was inspired by her parents to take charge of her finances from a young age and how their practical lessons in financial concepts helped her understand how to budget. She dives into the benefits of fintech and how having a system to help you manage your money decreases stress and enables you to prioritize your spending. Mykail also shares the story of her own tough lesson in managing her cash and lets us in on how she built her credit score back up and how you can do the same.
“If your savings are safe, and your bills are paid it really doesn’t matter where you spend your money – just ensure it’s benefitting you in the long run.” – Mykail James
This Weeks Sponsor
- University of California Irvine – If you are trying to advance your career, UCI Division of Continuing Education has the resources needed to support you. There are certificate programs and specialized studies available to make it easy to advance in as little as 6 months. For 15-percent off, click here and enter promo code “paychecks” at checkout.
What To Listen For
- Why Mykail is driven to help her peers understand their finances
- A beginners guide to opening a credit card and why it’s vital to understand what minimum payments are
- How she juggles her job and Boujie Budgets and still has time to enjoy life
- Books and podcasts she enjoys that boost her productivity and skills
- How a system can help you manage your finances
- Four basic steps that will help you manage your money
- How to use financial technology (fintech) to create a personalized money management system
- How to determine the ‘emotional goals’ for your money
- How to start your financial reset
- The secret to keeping your finances at the forefront of your mind
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Budgenista podcast
- When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing by Daniel Pink
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss
- Atomic Habits: Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results by James Clear
- Personal Capital
Connect with Mykail James:
- Boujie Budgeter Website
- Code and Coin Podcast
- Facebook Boujie Budgets
- Instagram Boujie Budgets
- Twitter Boujie Budgets
Save More Money
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here.
Investing Made Easy
- Trade Your 9 to 5 with Investing Made Easy – Tela Holcomb shows you How to Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom and Build a Legacy of Wealth – All Without Working 40+ Hours a Week in her course bundle. Learn how she does it here.
- This Teacher Turned Investment Expert Shares How She Makes $1,000 a Day – enrollment is now open for Teri’s latest trading course: Trade and Travel
- The Perfect Portfolio – A step-by-step program to build financial freedom. Your teacher, Kevin L. Matthews II, is a Certified Financial Planner, bestselling author, and former financial advisor. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Economics from Hampton University, obtained a certificate of financial planning from Northwestern University and a certificate in disruptive strategy from Harvard Business School. He was named one of the Top 100 Most Influential Financial Advisors by Investopedia.
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.