We all want to take that passion of ours and make it into a multimillion-dollar company, right? Well, on today’s show we talk to Michelle Schroeder-Gardner, creator of the popular blog Making Sense of Cents, to hear how she achieved her dream of creating her own destiny and making $100,000 per month online from her personal finance and lifestyle blog. From working a solid day-job in the financial services industry as a financial analyst, she decided to dedicate herself to becoming self-employed as an online freelancer and solopreneur.
Her blog was initially created to help her improve her own finances and pay off $38,000 in student loans while helping readers improve their personal finances too. It soon became the platform for her to grow and expand her business skills and eventually build an online empire. We think that she may be the voice of our generation! Or at least a voice. Of a generation.
In this episode, you’ll hear how Michelle monetized her blog and turned it into a multimillion-dollar business, learn what affiliate marketing is, and why harnessing your passion and the power of the internet may lead you to live a more rewarding life.
- How Michelle’s childhood and her time in the financial service industry impacted her views on money management
- Why freelancing might be an option in the beginning to build your audience, credibility, and initial income
- How can I monetize my blog?
- What should I blog about?
- Practicing mindfulness on social media
- The pros and cons of remaining anonymous on the internet
- Why focusing on your own business through increased hours + workload can directly impact your bottom line as an entrepreneur increased income
- Breaking down affiliate advertising
- How MakingSenseofCents.com went from $12,000 to $300,000 in one year
- The benefits of focusing 100% of your time working on your business versus a traditional 9 to 5
- Michelle’s online courses and lessons learned for duplicating her revenue streams
Key Takeaway: We all want to triumphantly sing “Started from the bottom, now we’re here” as we throw dollar bills into screaming crowds of fans, but it is only through hard work, fierce passion, and expert follow-through in productivity that we can ever achieve the dream of being our own boss.
Find Michelle Schroeder-Gardner Around the Web:
- Website: makingsenseofcents.com
- Instagram: michelleschro
- Facebook: MakingSenseOfCents1
- Twitter: @SenseOfCents
Mentioned on This Week’s Show
This Week’s Sponsor
CLEAR makes your life safer, simpler, and more secure. With CLEAR, your eyes and fingertips get you through security faster at airports and stadiums. Right now, Paychecks and Balances listeners can get their first two months of CLEAR for FREE. Visit ClearMe.com/paychecks for more info!
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. There’s something to help everyone get their money right. I’ve used SoFi twice and have nothing but good things to say about
theireasy to use and helpful services. Use our referral link
and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Learn and Grow Your Net Worth
Personal Capital – is an online financial advisor and personal wealth management company that helps you track and grow your net worth.
Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is the easiest and best platform.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We use Square.
- Beyond the Dollar Podcast – The Myth of Success with Paychecks & Balances: We chat about the differences between the idea of outward success and how it’s not always cracked up to be. We also get candid about our feelings on how others respond to our upbringings or our “advantages” in life and it’s merely our parents looking out for our best interest.
- Brown Ambition Podcast – Ep. 169 — Finding Your Perfect Retirement Number with Paychecks & Balance’s Marcus Garrett: Paychecks & Balance’s Marcus Garrett cohosts this week’s show, and he shares how he found his perfect retirement number (Hint: It’s actually not as high as you might think!).
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Request us here!
- We’re developing our first Debt Free course including continuously updated content and Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying book series.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.