Shannah Compton Game of The “Millennial Money” podcast joins the P&B family today. Shannah is a Certified Financial Planner with an MBA. She’s also an entrepreneur, podcaster, writer, and teacher. On her show “Millennial Money”, Shannah takes a deep dive into money problems that plague Americans, with a focus on, Millennials. Her goal is to help you get more in tune with your money and to know your money so that you can begin to cut down on debt and build a budget that works for your lifestyle.
Her passion for helping people untangle the mess of their day-to-day money problems is rooted in the fact that in the past, Shannah had money struggles just like you. Debt, student loans, a mortgage, all things that she one time felt in over her head with. She’s creating a movement where talking about money isn’t a taboo, instead, it’s a part of the regular conversation with your family, friends, and spouse.
In today’s episode, you’ll hear about Shannah’s upbringing and her first memories of money, working with her dad. You’ll also learn about how starting a film festival in college taught Shannah valuable marketing and budget lessons. Shannah also tells the listeners about her philosophy on going back to school to get an MBA, the power of starting a podcast, and how she credits all of her success in business to being scrappy and making things happen, without a huge network.
- Starting a film festival and running its marketing and finances
- Weighing the costs of getting your Masters Degree
- The lack of a network that some graduate schools promise
- Teaching personal finance at Cal State Northridge
- “Cash is still king”
- The importance of building a financial foundation
- Why you need to be earning more than 2% on your money
- Knowing what your spending your money on – In order to fix things you need a benchmark of data to understand
- Negotiating a better student loan interest rate
- Tackling different facets of paying off debt, while still saving some of your money
Key Takeaway: Regardless of income or age, we all face similar money struggles. The numbers may look different but the problems are the same. In order to build a life you need a basic financial education and foundation to build off of.
Shannah Compton Game
- Website: mmoneypodcast.com
- Instagram: instagram.com/shannahgame
- Podcast: podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/millennial-money/id957163760
This Week’s Sponsor
Gusto – offers modern, easy payroll benefits to small businesses across the country — they were even named best online payroll by PCMag. And as a listener, you’ll get three months free when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/paychecks.
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
Raise Your Credit Score!
- D.E.B.T. Free: A 4-Week Starter Kit – Get Paychecks & Balances, LLC. signature course today! Based on our popular book, Debt Free or Die Trying: How I Buried Myself in $30,000 in Debt and Dug My Way Out, this actionable 4-step program helps you create a debt free plan you’ll actually follow.
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. Marcus has used SoFi twice and has nothing but good things to say about their easy to use services. Use our referral link and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Break the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- Freshly – Behind only housing (33%) and transportation (16%), food-related expenses (13%) is the largest expense category for the average household. Freshly delivers chef cooked, healthy, wallet-friendly meals that fit any budget. Use our referral link to take 2-weeks off from cooking with $20 off your first two orders.
Increase Your Income Streams
- Trade Your 9 to 5 with Investing Made Easy – Tela Holcomb, shows you How to Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom and Build a Legacy of Wealth – All Without Working 40+ Hours a Week in her course bundle. Learn how she does it here.
- Start Your Amazon Side Hustle – The result of Sandy of YesIamCheap.com nearly two decades of experience is a 5 module course that is designed to get you up and running and selling on Amazon. Modules include videos, ebooks, checklists, live video classes, templates and Periscope videos designed to help you get online and profitable, fast. I teach you how to put everything together so that you can begin earning side money from your first month in business.
- NerdWallet: 8 African American Financial Gurus to Follow in 2020
- Visit TheMarcusGarrett.com to get your FREE chapter from the upcoming Second Edition of Debt Free or Die Trying. Official release date coming soon!
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us @PayBalances and Instagram.
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.