This week we’re back with a replay of one of our favorite episodes!
Liz Weston shares the truth about credit. Liz is a Columnist and Certified Financial Planner (CFP) whose goal is to help us get smarter about money. She’s the author of five books including the best-selling, Your Credit Score: How to Improve the 3-Digit Number That Shapes Your Financial Future. Her “Money Talk” column appears throughout the country, including the Los Angeles Times and she has appeared on TV shows, such as CNBC’s Power Lunch, NBC Nightly News, and the Today Show. On this episode, Liz lends her expertise to help us cover the truth about credit:
- Why most people don’t know they have hundreds of credit scores and that the FICO8 is the most commonly used by lenders
- The surprising, hidden cost increases your credit score might have on bills ranging from insurance, cell phone, to the down payments on your apartment and cable bill
- One mistake you can make that can lower your credit score over 100 points in one month
- Tips for rebuilding and repairing your credit history and credit score
- What credit utilization percentage and age you should use to determine when a consolidation loan or bankruptcy is the better option
References Mentioned in this Show
- Liz Weston
- The 28 Most Used Credit Scores: Visit MyFico.com
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling
- Objective Financial Planning Advice: The Garrett Planning Network
- How to Save 1x Your Income by Age 30 and Retire a Millionaire
- ICYMI – Keeping up with the Joneses will cost you a lot of Benjamins: Is lifestyle creep holding you back from your FinGoals? Check out Marcus latest for GoBankingRates: My Lifestyle Inflation Cost Me $8,000 a Year — Here’s How. You can view all of Marcus GBR pieces by visiting PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR
Thank You for the Support
- Exclusively for our email subscribers, we created a free guide: The 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom. This tool includes “15-minute” plans for creating a budget, starting your debt freedom plan, and finding your FIRE number. Sign-up to get your guide today and see why just 15-minutes can change the next 15 years of your life.
- Read Marcus’ book series, Debt Free Or Die Trying, to learn more about how he paid off $30,000 in debt by age 30; and how to create a debt free plan you’ll actually follow.
- Looking for more free career development and debt freedom tips? Join our email list at PaychecksandBalances.com/email for exclusive content including show updates, digital giveaways, and more. We don’t spam. We just keeps it real. Yes, keeps.
- We’ve partnered with NerdWallet for all your personal finance needs at PaychecksAndBalances.com/Tools
- Check out our PATREON page! We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or follow us on Twitter @PayBalances @IamRichJones @THEMarcusGarret and on Instagram.
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.