Today on Paychecks & Balances, we welcome Chris Hutchins to the podcast. After being laid off in the 2008 financial crisis, and seeing so many others in the same circumstance, Chris created LaidOffCamp, an organization to empower people through education. A few years later, he co-founded Milk, a mobile app incubator in San Francisco, where he launched Oink to over 100,000 users before being acquired by Google. After his four years at Google Ventures, he then left to create his own financial planning service, Grove. At Grove, clients are paired with top-notch financial advisors to create personalized strategies, help track their financial health progress, and available for advice anytime, anywhere.
In this episode, you’ll learn how to turn a passion into a business, why financially literacy and follow-through are crucial to your future, and why a financial advisor might just be the thing you need to get your funds right
- Chris’s experience in investment banking
- How one weekend in Boston at a “Start-Up Weekend” changed his life!
- What is the “LaidOffCamp”?
- What is your passion? Is there an opportunity? Can you do it? Yes, yes, and yes? Then start a business!
- The “Minimal Viable Product” is crucial to prove to the world you can do it and prove to yourself its possible
- Why random people who will give you really harsh feedback about your business is market research GOLD
- Research shows that 85% of adults feel financial anxiety
- Why Wealth is a state of mind
- Financial planning and behavioral coaching shouldn’t be limited to the rich
- Why Grove’s affordable, personalized, financial advice is the first of its kind
- When it comes to personal finance, you must take action today!
Support Chris Hutchins and Hello Grove:
- LinkedIn: HelloGrove
- Facebook: UseGrove
Mentioned on This Week’s Show
- StartUpSchool.org by Y Combinator
- The New York Times: America’s Professional Elite: Wealthy, Successful and Miserable by Charles Duhigg
- Paychecks & Balances Series: Ask a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- SoFi– offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. There’s something to help everyone get their money right. I’ve used SoFi twice and have nothing but good things to say about
theireasy to use and helpful services. Use our referral link (or don’t, because we would still recommend them) for a $100 credit towards your next loan.
Learn and Grow Your Net Worth
Personal Capital – is an online financial advisor and personal wealth management company that helps you track and grow your net worth.
Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is the easiest and best platform.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We use Square.
Paychecks & Balances
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Request us here!
- We’re developing our first Debt Free course including continuously updated content and Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying book series.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.