Gaby is the author of Bad with Money: The Imperfect Art of Getting Your Financial Sh*t Together, and a bestselling author, journalist, television writer, actress, and LGBTQ activist living in Los Angeles. Her podcast of the same name, “Bad With Money,” was named one of the top 10 podcasts of 2016 by The New York Times.
Marcus originally met Gaby in New York City at the JPMorgan Chase National Savings Month: Making Money Moves Panel. This week, she joins the smooth sounds of P&B to talk about facing the harsh reality of today’s financial world, how to side-step the haters online and off, and why we are all capable of economic independence, even those of us who are bad with money.
- How did your parents mold your financial literacy?
- The American Dream vs Reality
- The Millennial Myth
- Looking “wealthy” on social media
- The unethical unpaid internship
- Owning your content and getting paid
- What social media platform is best for you and your business?
- Follow where the money goes and pay the haters no mind
Key Takeaway: You aren’t alone… we are all struggling. Gaby explains that by taking the first steps of acknowledging maybe you’re bad with money is actually one of the first steps to solving it.
Follow Gaby Dunn Around the Web:
This Week’s Sponsors
- The UCI Division of Continuing Education courses
aretaught by expert instructors with industry experience with offerings of over 60 convenient certificates and specialized studies programs on campus and online designed for the working professional who seeks career advancement and personal enrichment. Spring quarter is coming up and registration is open! To learn more, visit ce.uci.edu.
- PLEASE VOTE for Paychecks & Balances in the FedEx Small Business Grant contest! We have the potential to win as much as $50,000 to invest in P&B, LLC. Support us with these 3 easy (and free) choices:
- We created a PATREON premium content page! Patreon is an extension of the weekly podcast, including conversations we have amongst ourselves or with guests after we finish the main recording. On The After Show, we get into real convos with guest after the broadcast stops to hear how they really feel about the topics we covered to share with an exclusive audience of listeners: Join #TeamPremium today!
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
Credit Card & Debt Management
- Debitize.com – a personal finance application that helps consumers use credit cards responsibly. Listen to our interview with the CEO: PB79: Debitize – Credit Card Perks without Credit Card Debt ft Liran Amrany for more info. You can also read how Debitize helped Paychecks & Balances get into the 800 FICO Credit Score Club.
- SoFi– offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. There’s something to help everyone get their money right. I’ve used SoFi twice and have nothing but good things to say about
theireasy to use and helpful services. Use our referral link (or don’t, because we would still recommend them) for a $100 credit towards your next loan.
Learn and Grow Your Net Worth
Personal Capital – is an online financial advisor and personal wealth management company that helps you track and grow your net worth.
Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is, by far, the easiest and best platform.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We use Square.
Paychecks & Balances
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Contact us here!
- Visit PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR to read Marcus “Smart Money Squad” articles at GoBankingRates.com.
- Our first Debt Free course is in the works including
ucontinuouslyupdated content and Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying series is.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.