Unless you’ve been living under a rock or off social media you have heard about Fyre Festival by now. #SpoilerAlerts – The Fyre Festival was a failed “luxury” music festival scheduled to take place April 28-30 and May 5-7 2017 on the Bahamian island of Great Exuma. The event was created by Billy McFarland, a young entrepreneur and the founder of credit card company Magnises. Fyre Festival was highly promoted by social media influencers and some of the most popular females models in the world. During the Fyre Festival’s inaugural weekend, there was a tremendous amount of problems related to housing, food, security, medical services, and artist relations. This led to chaos, confusion, and ultimately the cancelation of the festival on the day it began.
On this episode, Rich and Marcus speak with Kelly Hultgren — a not so proud but happy you’ll learn from her personal experience because that’s what we do here at P&B, learn from our bitter personal finance mistakes — and survivor of Fyre Festival island.
Kelly is the producer of the “Her Money Podcast” with Jean Chatzky and a new friend of the P&B family. Marcus originally met Kelly in New York City at the JP Morgan Chase National Savings Month Panel where he got to hear a brief retelling of her story and we just knew we had to bring it back to the people. Kelly has a firsthand account of the Fyre Festival catastrophe since she was right there on the island when it happened! In this episode, you’ll hear her story about what it was like to attend the festival while being lied to about almost every aspect of the festival experience, and the day of public reckoning: when it all blew up on social media.
- The behind-the-scenes details that weren’t covered in Netflix’s Fyre Festival or Hulu’s Fyre Fraud documentaries
- Influencers growing responsibility in the age of social media. Maybe the festival itself didn’t become a reality, but I know the Buzzoid followers were real when a friend of mine put on his very own local festival. No big promises like Fyre Fest, but it was s success either way. This is something Billy and the team can learn, although I doubt he will be putting on anymore shows anytime soon. At the end of the day, we shouldn’t rely too much on social media influencers, especially if we don’t know anything ourselves.
- Sleeping in random tents with towels for beds
- What if felt like being locked in the airport and losing access to and contact with friends for hours
- Travel lessons – always have cash in the correct currency
- Sociopathic entrepreneurs praying on the worlds elite (and middle-class millennials)
- What Fyre Festival can teach each of us about social media, money and personal finance
Key Takeaway: If something feels too good to be true, it probably is.
Follow Kelly Hultgren on Social:
- Website: HerMoney.com
- Kelly’s Articles: hermoney.com/author/kellyhultgren
Mentioned on This Week’s Show
HERMONEYPODCAST: SEX, POWER AND THE LITTLE PINK PILL WITH CINDY ECKERT (EPISODE 127)
- Caterer Stiffed By Fyre Festival Organizers To Receive $169,000 From Donors
- My Ex Hid Her Debt and It Cost Us Both — Here’s What I Learned from the Experience
The UCI Division of Continuing Education courses are taught by expert instructors with industry experience with offerings of over 60 convenient certificates and specialized studies programs on campus and online designed for the working professional who seeks career advancement and personal enrichment. Spring quarter is coming up and registration is open! To learn more, visit ce.uci.edu
For a limited time Blinkist.com/Paychecks has a special offer just for the P&B audience. Blinkist is made of busy people like you, who want to get the main points without reading the entire book. With an audio feature, Blinkist makes it easy to finish 4 books a day while you are on the go. Visit Blinkist.com/Paychecks to start your free 7 day trial.
Our Favorite Tools
- Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit today at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more!
- Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves this tool and how much it’s already saved him here.
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is, by far, the easiest and best platform we’ve used.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We love Square.
We created a PATREON premium content page! Patreon is an extension of the weekly podcast, including conversations we have amongst ourselves or with guests after we finish the main recording. On The After Show, we get into real convos with guest after the broadcast stops to hear how they really feel about the topics we covered to share with an exclusive audience of listeners: Join #TeamPremium today!
Support Paychecks & Balances
- Want personal finance or career presentations tailored for your next seminar or conference? Contact us here!
- Visit PaychecksAndBalances.com/GBR to read Marcus “Smart Money Squad” articles at GoBankingRates.com.
- Our Debt Free page has continuously updated tools and resources and
Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying series is available on Amazon.com.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.