Jamila Souffrant is the creator of the blog and podcast, Journey To Launch, where she teaches and inspires others how to eliminate debt, save money, and increase their net worth.
The lessons she’s learned through trial and error helped her family to save $169,000 in two years and become debt-free. She’s also on the way to becoming financially independent by the age of 40.
Jamila is the resident financial expert on a weekly segment on News12 and has been featured in Money Magazine, TIME, Business Insider, Refinery29, CNBC, ESSENCE Magazine & CBS. She lives in Brooklyn, New York with her husband and three young children.
Jamila joins us today to share what inspired her to give up her well-paid corporate job and pivot her focus to working towards financial independence. She discusses the factors in her background that inspired her to be a savvy money manager and how she worked hard to buy a small condo in her early 20s, which ultimately started her on the path to building her own business.
Jamila also shares the value of intentional spending and how you can prioritize your spending and saving to ensure that you’re both happy in the moment and in the future.
Spend on what you value. There is no point in being miserable on this financial journey.
On this episode, we cover:
- How Jamila started Journey to Launch with the support of her family
- Why she gave up her corporate job to make a life change
- Why she aims to be financially independent by 40
- How her husband got on board with her ambitious financial goals
- The importance of maxing out your retirement plans
- Who inspires her in the personal finance space
- How she created her spreadsheet to map her financial freedom
- What financial independence means to her?
- Why she has switched her investment strategy in the last year
- The impact of working towards financial independence with a young family
- Her philosophy on generational wealth and planning for her children’s future
- How her approach to financial independence has changed in these challenging times
Connect with Jamila Souffrant
Connect with Paychecks and Balances:
This Weeks Sponsor
- University of California Irvine – If you are trying to advance your career, UCI Division of Continuing Education has the resources needed to support you. There are certificate programs and specialized studies available to make it easy to advance in as little as 6 months. For 15-percent off, click here and enter promo code “paychecks” at checkout.
Save More Money
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here.
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.