This week we’re joined by Damon Young of VSB for the first of a 2-part discussion. Damon is the editor-in-chief and co-founder of the black culture cornerstone, VerySmartBrothas.com. He has had his work featured on places like Slate, The Root, Ebony, Essence, HuffPost and everywhere the cool kids hang out on the e-corner. Last but not least, he’s working on a book of essays to be published by Ecco (HarperCollins). He lives in Pittsburgh, really likes pancakes, and Damon is a busy man, so we’re happy he took the time out to speak with us and the questions that have plagued the internet for years, like: why do men love Dodge Chargers (and her cousin, The Dodge Challenger)??? On part 1 of our entertaining discussion with Mr. Young we cover:
- How Damon went from rag to riches covering the journey from bad plagiarist poet to great authentic writer after finding his own voice, “I can swim now, but only because someone pushed me in the pool.” – Mr. Young
- He breaks down one of the hardest lessons he learned in his writing career, how it shaped him then and now, and why “STFU is free.”
- The impact money, or the lack thereof, had on his personal life and professional decisions, “I didn’t have enough money to afford free sh*t.”
- Why making good money is nice but having more money than your neighbors is what really drives people.
On Part-2, we’ll discuss how money changes your outlook and how people view you, Damon’s view on the True Cost of Parenting, and much more. Stay tuned and tune in!
- Damon Young on VSB: Money Isn’t Everything…Unless You Don’t Have It, then Yeah It’s Everything
- Damon Young on GQ
- Behind the Brilliance Podcast: Ep 117 ft Lisa Nicole Bell and Damon Young
- Money only makes you happy if you have more than neighbors
- ICYMI – PB26: Behind the Brilliance ft. @LisaNicoleBell
- ICYMI – VSB Feature: How Marcus Got $26,000 in Debt in Less than 72-Hours
Check out RockStar Finance’s Directory of Personal Finance Blogs (and Resources) from @BudgetsAreSexy. This is a great resource for all things personal finance. You can show support to us and these other awesome personal finance blogs by clicking here.
We’re on Soundcloud!
Check out our PATREON page! We’re raising funds to grow the show so we can create more great content that helps you get ahead professionally and financially.
Read Marcus’ book on how he buried and dug his way out of over $30,000 in debt by age 30, Debt Free Or Die Trying, on Amazon.
Looking for more career development and debt freedom tips? Join our email list at PaychecksandBalances.com/email for exclusive content including show updates, digital giveaways, and more. We don’t spam. We just keeps it real. Yes, keeps.
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.