References Mentioned by Marcus on This Show
- 4-Step Plan for Improving Your Credit and Tackling Your D.E.B.T.
- Define the problem
- Call to Action: Visit AnnualCreditReport.com to obtain your free credit report and see how much debt you really have. You can also check for errors and incorrectly reported information.
- Establish a plan
- Call to Action: Download our free debt & money planning guide, read Marcus’ eBook – Debt Free or Die Trying: A Simple Guide for Creating a Debt Free Plan You’ll Actually Follow, or use BankRate’s calculators to design a debt payment plan that fits your lifestyle.
- Build a Budget
- Call to Action: Download our free “15 minute Budget” tool, and read Marcus’ piece for GoBankingRates: I Used Mint Wrong For Years and You Probably Are Too for tips and tricks for successfully using this popular budgeting app.
- Trust the Process!
- The time is going to pass. A good plan will ensure your credit rises and your debt lowers during that time.
- Define the problem
- NerdWallet: How Marcus Garrett Used a 50/30/20 Budget to Ditch Debt
- Experian: What Is a Good Credit Score?
- Your payment history (35 percent)
- Your debt usage ratio: how much you owe in relation to your credit limit (30 percent)
- How far back your credit history goes (15 percent)
- New credit (10 percent)
- Your mix of various types of credit (10 percent)
More Tools & Resources
- Paychecks and Balances – Debt Free Planning
- #AskPB: PLEASE HELP: I’m Struggling to Pay Bills and My Credit Score is 460
- CBSN: Making Your Money Matter ft. Paychecks and Balances
- GoBankingRates: How to Build Credit History When You Have No Credit
- BankRate: Best Credit Cards for Rebuilding Bad Credit
- PB73: Mastering Financial Independence and Student Loans with Robert Farrington
- NerdWallet: Average Household Debt
- ChaseBank: How Just An Extra $10 a Month Can Cut 11 Years off Your Debt Payment
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.