We were invited by CBS News on their 24-7 streaming video news channel CBSN at cbsnews.com/live to join a panel of experts discussing student loans, credit cards, debt management, retirement and more. Hosted by Vladimir Duthiers (@vladduthierscbs), the panel included our very own MG (@TheMarcusGarrett); Jeanie Ahn (@jeanie531), a senior producer with Yahoo Finance; Rachel Gottlieb, author of Zacs Dollar Dilemma and a Senior Vice President with UBS Wealth Management; and Scott Gamm (@ScottGamm), a correspondent with TheStreet.com.
Watch the full discussion here.
References Mentioned by Marcus on This Show
- PB73: Mastering Financial Independence and Student Loans with Robert Farrington
- Can You Actually Become a Millionaire on an Average Salary?
Student and Credit Card Debt
- NerdWallet: Average Household Debt
- Student Loans: $50,626 (total U.S. debt: $1.34 trillion)
- Credit Card: $16,883 (total U.S. debt: $784 billion)
- Only 1 in 3 Millennials have a credit card
- PB68: Don’t Cost Yourself $600,000!
- A study found that starting at $55,000 as opposed to $50,000 could yield an additional $630,000 in earnings over the length of your career.
- Employees Who Stay In Companies Longer Than Two Years Get Paid 50% Less
Budgeting for Beginners
- How MG Ditched Debt with a 50/30/20 Budget
- What Americans Spend the Most On
- “In every city we analyzed, housing and then transportation ate up the largest chunks of the average household’s budget. These two items ate up around 50% of the average budgets.”
Recommended Tools and Resources
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.