We were invited by CBS News on their 24-7 streaming video news channel CBSN at cbsnews.com/live to join a panel of experts discussing student loans, credit cards, debt management, retirement and more. Hosted by Vladimir Duthiers (@vladduthierscbs), the panel included our very own Marcus Garrett (@TheMarcusGarrett); Jeanie Ahn (@jeanie531), a senior producer with Yahoo Finance; Rachel Gottlieb, author of Zacs Dollar Dilemma and a Senior Vice President with UBS Wealth Management; and Scott Gamm (@ScottGamm), a correspondent with TheStreet.com.
Watch the full discussion here.
References Mentioned by Marcus on This Show
- PB73: Mastering Financial Independence and Student Loans with Robert Farrington
- Can You Actually Become a Millionaire on an Average Salary?
Student and Credit Card Debt
- NerdWallet: Average Household Debt
- Student Loans: $50,626 (total U.S. debt: $1.34 trillion)
- Credit Card: $16,883 (total U.S. debt: $784 billion)
- Only 1 in 3 Millennials have a credit card
- PB68: Don’t Cost Yourself $600,000!
- A study found that starting at $55,000 as opposed to $50,000 could yield an additional $630,000 in earnings over the length of your career.
- Employees Who Stay In Companies Longer Than Two Years Get Paid 50% Less
Budgeting for Beginners
- How Marcus Garrett Ditched Debt with a 50/30/20 Budget
- What Americans Spend the Most On
- “In every city we analyzed, housing and then transportation ate up the largest chunks of the average household’s budget. These two items ate up around 50% of the average budgets.”
Recommended Tools and Resources
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.