Kanika Tolver is joining us for this episode. Kanika is an Information Technology Federal Government professional, Entrepreneur, Coach and Author.
Her company Career Rehab LLC focuses on assisting career transformations for students, professionals, and retirees. She does this through coaching, events, and webinars with the ultimate goal of helping others create their own “epic lives” and reach their career goals.
In her book “Career Rehab” Kanika helps you strip away the fear that’s holding you back from living the life you want and gives guidance on how to brand, market, and sell yourself into jobs that are in alignment with your values.
Values like work-life balance, good pay, and ongoing self-development are at the top of the list.
In this episode, Marcus and Rich sit down with Kanika and discuss her baby steps into entrepreneurship as a resume writer, what it’s like working for the Federal Government, the power of LinkedIn, building a professional network, and how thinking of yourself as a brand will get you more opportunities in life.
- Side hustling as a career coach/resume writer
- Building a business from home while taking care of her sick mother
- Balance is the key to success in business and personal life
- What it’s like working in Washington DC
- “Don’t sleep on LinkedIn”
- Investing in a good headshot
- Leveraging LinkedIn groups
- Employee mindset vs. being a brand
- Beefing up your 401k contributions at work, once you get a raise
- How your personal values change from your 20s to 30s
- Bringing a dose of your personality to your job
- The importance of prepping for work meetings
- A “referral is the fastest way to an interview”
Key takeaway: You have to leverage your skills and your network, to sell yourself into a new job that’s in alignment with your life’s vision.
- Website: kanikatolver.com
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/kanikatolver
- Facebook: facebook.com/KanikaRTolver
- Instagram: instagram.com/kanikatolver
- Book: https://kanikatolver.com/book/
This Week’s Sponsor
Gusto – offers modern, easy payroll benefits to small businesses across the country — they were even named best online payroll by PCMag. And as a listener, you’ll get three months free when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/paychecks.
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
Raise Your Credit Score!
- D.E.B.T. Free: A 4-Week Starter Kit – Get Paychecks & Balances, LLC. signature course today! Based on our popular book, Debt Free or Die Trying: How I Buried Myself in $30,000 in Debt and Dug My Way Out, this actionable 4-step program helps you create a debt free plan you’ll actually follow.
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. Marcus has used SoFi twice and has nothing but good things to say about their easy to use services. Use our referral link and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Break the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- Freshly – Behind only housing (33%) and transportation (16%), food-related expenses (13%) is the largest expense category for the average household. Freshly delivers chef cooked, healthy, wallet-friendly meals that fit any budget. Use our referral link to take 2-weeks off from cooking with $20 off your first two orders.
Increase Your Income Streams
- Trade Your 9 to 5 with Investing Made Easy – Tela Holcomb, shows you How to Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom and Build a Legacy of Wealth – All Without Working 40+ Hours a Week in her course bundle. Learn how she does it here.
- Start Your Amazon Side Hustle – The result of Sandy of YesIamCheap.com nearly two decades of experience is a 5 module course that is designed to get you up and running and selling on Amazon. Modules include videos, ebooks, checklists, live video classes, templates and Periscope videos designed to help you get online and profitable, fast. I teach you how to put everything together so that you can begin earning side money from your first month in business.
- TMG is LIVE — visit to get your FREE chapter from the revised Debt Free or Die Trying Second Edition. Official release date coming soon.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us @PayBalances and Instagram.
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.