Erin Lowry, the author of Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping By and Get Your Financial Life Together, is a Personal Finance Expert who helps millennials navigate their big money questions and teaches them how to control their finances like a boss. Her first book was named by MarketWatch as one of the best money books of 2017. She has appeared on CBS Sunday Morning, CNBC and Fox & Friends, written for companies like Fast Company, Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Refinery29, and regularly speaks at universities and conferences around the country.
In her newest book, Broke Millennial Takes On Investing: A Beginner’s Guide to Leveling Up Your Money, Erin focuses on giving millennials a solid introduction to investing and developing a healthy money mindset, when it comes to investing in millennial money. In this episode she talks to the guys about merging finances in a relationship, paying off debt, diving into the world of investing, and how you can make your money work as hard as you do.
- The necessity of the Prenup
- Navigating relationships and money 101
- Discovering financial nudity with your partner
- The Broke Millennial’s take on Investing
- Why it’s ok to acknowledge money privilege
- Dissecting the Emergency Fund
- How to shift from fear to preparedness
- Learning Your Own Risk Tolerance in Investing
- What is a Time Horizon?
- Are Micro-investing apps a good idea?
Key Takeaway: Instead of shying away from the world of finance, step bravely in. Erin teaches us that communication and being honest about your money aspirations and setbacks could unlock a world of financial freedom. When you are determined to learn and grow with your money, you will change your life for the better.
As a special bonus for Paychecks & Balances listeners, Erin has a 30-Day Rookie Investor Action Plan she will send you if you purchase a copy of Broke Millennial Takes On Investing. Send proof of purchase to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Paychecks & Balances” in the subject line of the email to claim your action plan. Offer good until June 1.
Additionally, Erin is also going on tour in April and May! She’s doing events around the country (and one in Canada) to help you learn more about how to start investing. Learn more at brokemillennial.com/tour
Follow & Support Erin Lowry:
- Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping By and Get Your Financial Life Together
- Broke Millennial Takes On Investing: A Beginner’s Guide to Leveling Up Your Money
- ICYMI – PB53: Broke Millennial ft. Erin Lowry
- Website: brokemillennial.com
- Blog: brokemillennial.com/blog/
- YouTube: https://brokemillennial.com/youtube-show/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrokeMillennial
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brokemillennialblog
This Week’s Sponsor
- Blinkist.com/Paychecks has a special offer exclusive to our P&B audience this week. Blinkist is made of busy people like you who want to get the main points without reading the entire book. With an audio feature, Blinkist makes it easy to finish 4 books a day while you are on the go. Visit Blinkist.com/Paychecks today to start your free 7-day trial!
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day, so you don’t have to think about it. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- SoFi– offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. There’s something to help everyone get their money right. I’ve used SoFi twice and have nothing but good things to say about their easy to use and helpful services. Use our referral link (or don’t, because we would still recommend them) for a $100 credit towards your next loan.
Learn and Grow Your Net Worth
Personal Capital – is an online financial advisor and personal wealth management company that helps you track and grow your net worth.
Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- We’ve tried a lot of email subscriber services. ConvertKit is the easiest and best platform.
- Need to collect money or invoice clients? We use Square.
Paychecks & Balances
- Want personal finance, work and money presentations tailored to your next seminar or conference? Request us here!
- We’re developing our first Debt Free course including continuously updated content and Marcus’ Debt Free or Die Trying book series.
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us on Twitter @PayBalances and Instagram!
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.