Dr. Eric Patrick joins the Paychecks & Balances family today. Dr. Patrick a pharmacist turned investor and Entrepreneur. He’s the founder of “The Black Market Exchange” (BMEX) which he developed because of the lack of people of color in the investing space. BMEX is an educational platform that teaches investing and stock trading, that’s rooted in hip-hop and pop culture. The company has grown to over 50,000 loyal members, which includes subscribers to Dr. Patrick’s daily stock market newsletter “PAPERTRAIL.”
PAPERTRAIL covers the latest stock market news with funny commentary and even has a “bangin’ playlist that’s for the culture each weekday to help you secure the bag.” In this episode, you’ll hear about Dr. Patrick’s journey out of his 9 to 5 Pharmacy job, how he stayed true to his roots while starting his business, his entry into the cannabis space and how some people prefer working a day job, and that’s ok.
- Being a pharmacist “in charge”
- How shifts in company culture can affect you and your mental health
- The transition out of your 9-5 job can take a long time, be patient
- “It’s not a rat race if you truly enjoy your job”
- Entrepreneur shame
- The process and hustle of putting out a daily newsletter
- Staying true to who you are and where you come from when creating a vision for your business
- Starting a social media agency
- Helping cannabis entrepreneurs through “Green Tree”
Key Takeaway: Don’t try and be somebody you’re not with your business. When you show up authentically in the world, people will be drawn to you and your ideas.
The Black Market Exchange
- Website: thebmex.com
- Instagram: black_market_exchange
- Facebook: facebook.com/BlackMarketExchange
- YouTube: BlackMarketExchange
- Twitter: BMEX_
This Week’s Sponsor
Gusto – offers modern, easy payroll benefits to small businesses across the country — they were even named best online payroll by PCMag. And as a listener, you’ll get three months free when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/paychecks.
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
Raise Your Credit Score!
- D.E.B.T. Free: A 4-Week Starter Kit – Get Paychecks & Balances, LLC. signature course today! Based on our popular book, Debt Free or Die Trying: How I Buried Myself in $30,000 in Debt and Dug My Way Out, this actionable 4-step program helps you create a debt free plan you’ll actually follow.
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. Marcus has used SoFi twice and has nothing but good things to say about their easy to use services. Use our referral link and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Break the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- Freshly – Behind only housing (33%) and transportation (16%), food-related expenses (13%) is the largest expense category for the average household. Freshly delivers chef cooked, healthy, wallet-friendly meals that fit any budget. Use our referral link to take 2-weeks off from cooking with $20 off your first two orders.
Increase Your Income Streams
- Trade Your 9 to 5 with Investing Made Easy – Tela Holcomb, shows you How to Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom and Build a Legacy of Wealth – All Without Working 40+ Hours a Week in her course bundle. Learn how she does it here.
- Start Your Amazon Side Hustle – The result of Sandy of YesIamCheap.com nearly two decades of experience is a 5 module course that is designed to get you up and running and selling on Amazon. Modules include videos, ebooks, checklists, live video classes, templates and Periscope videos designed to help you get online and profitable, fast. I teach you how to put everything together so that you can begin earning side money from your first month in business.
- Debt Free or Die Trying Second Edition is coming this January 2020!
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us @PayBalances and Instagram.
Get Our Newsletter!
Join our free email community to get our newsletter with actionable tips and interesting reads to help you navigate your finances and career.