“Together we can turn words into Cold Hard Cash.” Finance, business and travel writer, Sarah Li Cain joins the podcast today. Sarah is the host of the “Beyond The Dollar” Podcast and founder of “Sarah Li Cain Writes.”
Sarah understands how to create compelling content in the form of Articles, Blog posts, and Web Copy. She’ unique in that she understands how to connect with readers and turn them into fans, which turns them into customers. Sarah can help you achieve your goals by using the correct voicing for your brand, regardless of what vibe you’re looking to portray. Sarah prides her self on being easy to work with, telling great jokes and being fun to be around. Her client list is huge. She’s worked with some top companies in the online space, including; Bankrate, Lending Tree, Word Press, Quicken Loans and other finance giants.
Sarah’s journey into Entrepreneurship started shortly after moving to the U.S from Canada and having a baby. While working too many hours at her full-time job, and raising a child, she realized there had to be a way to work fewer hours and still maximize income. She began using her self taught financial education and writing skills to find freelance work. After building up her experience and client list, she was eventually able to triple her income in one year, all while writing from home.
In this episode you’ll hear Sarah’s experience immigrating to the U.S, building credit without being able to get a credit card, why millennial’s need to stop basing their self-worth on their credit score, the do’s and don’t’s of starting a side hustle, and the importance of batching tasks and time blocking.
Key Takeaway: If you can afford it, you need to invest a little bit of money in your side hustle. In the beginning, it shows that you’re taking your gig seriously and trusting that you’re willing to see your idea through.
- Self-teaching Financial Literacy
- Building credit from scratch by becoming an authorized user on her husband’s card
- What are secured credit cards?
- Breaking down the Taboo’s around money conversations
- The danger of “I should”
- Millennial’s putting their credit score on their Tinder profiles
- Tying your self worth to something external
- The emotional connection between buying and renting
- Cold calling to get leads
- Using tools like Fiverr to outsource some of your side hustle tasks
- Batching and time blocking
- Reasons for and against freelancing
- Investing money in your idea
Sarah Li Cain
- Websites: sarahlicainwrites.com
- Websites: beyondthedollar.co/
- Instagram: instagram.com/beyondthedollar/
- Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/beyond-the-dollar/id1349434733?=mt2
- Facebook: facebook.com/beyondthedollar
- Twitter: twitter.com/beyonddollarpod
This Week’s Sponsor
- Gusto – offers modern, easy payroll benefits to small businesses across the country — they were even named best online payroll by PCMag. And as a listener, you’ll get three months free when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/paychecks.
- University of California Irvine – If you are trying to advance your career, UCI Division of Continuing Education has the resources needed to support you. There are certificate programs and specialized studies available to make it easy to advance in as little as 6 months. For 15-percent off, visit ce.uci.edu/PaychecksBalances and enter promo code “paychecks” at checkout.
Our Favorite Tools
Available exclusively to our email subscribers, see why 15-minutes can change the next 15 years with our free 15 Minute Paychecks & Balances Money Plan: Your Guide to Financial Freedom.
Raise Your Credit Score!
- D.E.B.T. Free: A 4-Week Starter Kit – Get Paychecks & Balances, LLC. signature course today! Based on our popular book, Debt Free or Die Trying: How I Buried Myself in $30,000 in Debt and Dug My Way Out, this actionable 4-step program helps you create a debt free plan you’ll actually follow.
- SoFi – offers a full range of financial services, from personal loans to refinancing to investing. Marcus has used SoFi twice and has nothing but good things to say about their easy to use services. Use our referral link and get $100 when your loan is funded.
Break the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle
- Digit – Struggling to save money? Sign-up for Digit at paybal.co/digit to automate your way to saving hundreds or more! Digit analyzes your spending and automatically saves the perfect amount every day. Read why Rich loves Digit and how much it’s already saved him.
- Tiller – The only spreadsheet templates powered by an automatic feed of your finances directly into Google Sheets and Excel. Easily budget, track expenses. Get started here!
- Freshly – Behind only housing (33%) and transportation (16%), food-related expenses (13%) is the largest expense category for the average household. Freshly delivers chef cooked, healthy, wallet-friendly meals that fit any budget. Use our referral link to take 2-weeks off from cooking with $20 off your first two orders.
Increase Your Income Streams
- Trade Your 9 to 5 with Investing Made Easy – Tela Holcomb, shows you How to Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom and Build a Legacy of Wealth – All Without Working 40+ Hours a Week in her course bundle. Learn how she does it here.
- Start Your Amazon Side Hustle – The result of Sandy of YesIamCheap.com nearly two decades of experience is a 5 module course that is designed to get you up and running and selling on Amazon. Modules include videos, ebooks, checklists, live video classes, templates and Periscope videos designed to help you get online and profitable, fast. I teach you how to put everything together so that you can begin earning side money from your first month in business.
- Visit TheMarcusGarrett.com to get your FREE chapter from the upcoming Second Edition of Debt Free or Die Trying. Official release date coming soon!
- LIKE us on Facebook.com/PaychecksandBalances or FOLLOW us @PayBalances and Instagram.
Get Our Money Plan
Get our FREE 15-Minute Money Plan today! You'll also receive actionable work and money tips and interesting reads that'll keep you professionally and financially woke.